Magnetic Particle Inspection (MT)
MES is a full service provider of field and laboratory Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) techniques.
Located in Dallas, MES has NDT field crews staffed with Level II & III experts to supervise all NDT projects. MES provides rapid inspection results at an affordable price. As an A2LA ISO 17025 accredited service provider, quality is our focus.
Magnetic particle Inspection (MPI) is a non-destructive testing process for detecting surface and slightly subsurface discontinuities in ferromagnetic materials. The process puts a magnetic field into the part, which creates “poles” of opposite sign on either side of discontinuities. The polarity creates an attractive force for iron particles, which are used to locate indications. The indication can then be evaluated by a certified technician to determine what it is, what may have caused it, and what action should be taken, if any.
MPI can be conducted in the laboratory or in the field using portable equipment. Our portable units are particularly useful for objects too large for in house methods, such as bridges, tanks, large weldments, and pressure vessels. Following inspection, the sample is demagnetized and cleaned.
- Non-destructive technique
- Detects cracks, laps, seams, inclusions and other discontinuities on or near the surface
- May be applied to raw materials, billets, finished materials, welds, and in-service parts
- Non hazardous to operations equipment and personnel
- Highly portable
- AWS D1.1
- ASTM A903
- ASTM A966
- ASTM E1444
- Magnetic particle examination is only applicable to ferromagnetic materials
- Macro inspection technique
- Chemical Analysis
- Corrosion Testing Lab
- Failure Analysis Lab
- Mechanical Testing Lab
- Metallurgical Lab Services
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Other Testing
- Surface Analysis Lab
- Weld Inspection Services